The micro:bit provides an accessible introduction to coding which enables anyone to learn how to code in a fun, exciting and practical way. It allows the user to develop their own programmes, games animations and music.
- Micro:bit (USB connector and battery pack not included) S8000
- Micro:bit and accessories (includes 1 x BBC micro:bit USB connector and battery pack) S7999
- Micro:bit small classroom set of 10 in gratnells tray (includes 10 x BBC micro:bits, 10 x USB connectors and 10 x battery packs) S7997
Using the micro:bit’s onboard Bluetooth smart technology you can connect to bluetooth enabled devices such as phones and tablets. Programming and connecting the micro:bit couldn’t be easier with the Android app developed by Samsung and the iOS app developed by ScienceScope and Insight Resources.
Download the micro:bit iOS app from the Apple Store
Download the micro:bit Android App from the play store
Microsoft have developed a free to use cloud-based coding environment with two new coding languages; Touch Develop and Block Editor.
- Touch Develop is a text-based coding language with pre built functions that enable instant practical application using the micro:bit onboard features including the LED matrix screen and several sensors.
- Block Editor is a simple to use graphical coding language that enables the user to code by joining blocks together. Again this offers pre built functions to enable use of the micro:bit’s onboard features.
- 2 x programmable buttons
- Onboard accelerometer
- Onboard compass
- Bluetooth smart technology antenna
- Processor (cortex MO)
- 5 x 4mm input and output (I/O) rings
- Edge connector
- Micro USB connection
- Reset button
- JST connection
BBC safety advice for the micro:bit